The Leader of Government Business is a Member of the Executive Council (MEC) who is appointed by the Executive Council to represent it in the Legislature. The Leader of Government Business serves as a crucial link between the Legislature and the Executive Council/ Committee.
The Leader of Government Business has the responsibility to coordinate the programme of the EXCO (Executive Committee) and the Legislature. The office of the Leader of Government Business further ensures:
- coordination of proposed provincial Bills for submission to the EXCO and the Legislature,
- places NCOP legislative processes before the EXCO for consideration
- facilitate the establishment and coordination of a network of Parliamentary Liaison Officers (PLOs) to ensure timeous submission of good quality responses to the Legislature resolutions, questions and petitions
- analyse Legislature resolutions, questions and petitions and integrate into government service delivery initiatives
- monitor the implementations of Legislature resolutions by government departments
- ensure that the MECs are informed of the Legislature programme and the requirements of the Legislature.
- ensure that an MEC is in the House when required and that all reports and documentation that must be tabled by MECs are tabled on time and in the correct format.
2012 LEADER OF GOVERNMENT BUSINESS:
MEC Phumulo Masualle